Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Corn Chopping 2014

It's that time of year when the scene  from my kitchen window changes . Some of the  tall corn stalks that I normally see , as I do dishes will be gone by noon today.  The field of irrigated corn that we raise behind our home with my 
father in law is chopped for feed for our cattle.  




We hire Luke Fensky Harvesting to chop the corn for us.  The corn is chopped and then dumped into a silage pit. Normally Milton would run our tractor to smooth out the pit, but since they are using large semi trucks this year, the crew is also doing this part for us.  
Their tractor can keep up better.  It's a very quick process and interesting to watch!



The silage pit is in my view as well from my kitchen window, but I notice it a lot less than I used to. Some might call it an eyesore as I used to, but I know it won't be there forever 
and it provides nourishment for cattle that will feed our family and others someday.  
We are growing something that feeds another product we are growing.  
As with any business, using your own resources is beneficial to the bottom dollar.  






Milton got up close and personal and took a photo for me of the cutter 
actually chopping the corn.  





We now have silage to feed the cattle. 
The rest of the corn will be harvested by us as usual in the future.


Thanks for stopping by!
Julie






6 comments:

  1. It is fun to mark the season not by the changing leaves but by the disappearing corn stalks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos and explanation! I know nothing about agriculture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae! Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy our blog! We love telling the story of Agriculture! Feel free to ask any questions. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. We have lots of friends that are Ag bloggers if you are interested in others! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. You have such beautiful views in your backyard! Your photos are lovely + congrats on a successful harvest! Thanks for linking up with the Country Fair Blog Party :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!